There's a range of routes into teaching for graduates:

School Based Initial Teacher Training (SCITT)

This is a year-long, full-time, school-based initial teacher training programme. It is run by a group of schools, often in partnership with a Higher Education Institution.

School Direct

School Direct places are available in some of the best primary and secondary schools across England and programmes generally last for one year.

There are two School Direct training options;

The School Direct Training Programme is for high-quality graduates who want to feel part of a school team whilst training. You'll pay fees but may be eligible for a bursary of up to £20,000 or a scholarship of £25,000 to support you.

The School Direct Training Programme (salaried) is an employment-based route for high-quality experienced graduates with at least three years' work experience. You will earn a salary while you train.

University-Based Course: PGCE

The traditional route into teaching - a one-year university course leading to a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE). The course combines academic study with a significant period of teaching practice in a variety of schools.

University-Based Course: Flexible Route

Some university-based training programmes are designed to meet individual needs, allowing you to study around work or personal commitments. These take previous experience into account and would suit people who have trained abroad, or worked in HE or an independent school.

For more details about available programmes visit The Department for Education/Teaching Agency website.

Remember that in Enfield we expect you to find a school that's willing to employ you to train with them. All schools decide whether they wish to participate or not and this can change from term to term, dependent on circumstances. We can't provide a list of interested schools but a list of all L.A. schools in the area is available here. It's also worth remembering that a school is more likely to take you on if they know you, so doing voluntary work or becoming a Teaching Assistant at the school could be a good idea.

Additional information

Bursaries are available for eligible postgraduate courses in England for those who are not already employed as a teacher. Bursary amounts vary depending upon subject and teaching class. Information about all university-based courses and some SCITTs can be found at For further information about fees funding and bursaries go to The Department for Education/Teaching Agency website or call the Teaching Information Line on 0800 389 2500.