Overseas-trained teachers – everything you need to know

We value the contribution overseas-trained teachers make to our schools. However, you will need to apply for a teaching position in an Enfield school using the same process as UK citizens.

Sponsorship and Leave to Remain

Once you have secured employment with us, your school will apply on your behalf for sponsorship, should you need it. This is not transferable and will allow you to work only in the school that has employed you. If the school is unsure of what to do, please ask them to contact their Link Officer at the Civic Centre.

You will also need to apply for 'Leave to Remain' at the same time as you apply for your work permit. There is likely to be an application fee for this. You can find more information about 'Leave to Remain' at www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.

Qualified Teacher Status

To continue to work as a teacher in the UK you will need Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). We encourage all overseas trained teachers to gain QTS. We offer support for this in conjunction with the London North Consortium.

If you are a qualified teacher from a country in the European Economic Area (EEA), you need to make an application for QTS to the Teaching Agency at www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching.

From 1 April 2012 qualified teachers from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA can apply to the Teaching Agency for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) without undertaking further training or assessment in England. OTTs from these countries can obtain further information by contacting the Teacher Enquiries telephone number: 0800 389 2500.

If you are qualified from any other country, contact the London North Consortium. Please note that you must already be employed in a school as a teacher before contacting the Consortium. Alternatively you can contact the Teacher Enquiries telephone number: 0800 389 2500.