Overseas Trained Teachers

We value the contribution overseas-trained teachers make to our schools. However, you will need to apply for a teaching position in an Enfield school using the same process as UK citizens.

Qualified Teacher Status

Whilst you may secure a role with your overseas teaching qualification you will be classed as ‘unqualified’ until you have gained QTS in the UK. Therefore, to continue to work as a teacher in the UK you will need Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). We encourage all overseas trained teachers to gain QTS.

Information on requirements and application forms can be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/qualified-teacher-status-qts.

If you are qualified from any other country and are already employed in a school in Enfield as a teacher you can find out more about gaining QTS on https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/overseas-applicants. Alternatively, you can contact the Get into Teaching line on: 0800 389 2500.

Sponsorship and Leave to Remain

If you or your close family member are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Lichtenstein and started living in the UK before 1 January 2021, you may be eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, free of charge; https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families.  Otherwise, if you were not resident in the UK by 31 December 2020, and do not have rights under the withdrawal agreement, you will need to meet specific requirements to work in the UK from 1 January 2021 and a sponsorship/visa will be required as detailed below.

Once you have secured employment with us, if you’re not a UK, Irish citizens or covered by the EU Settlement Scheme, and require a visa your school will apply on your behalf for sponsorship. This is not transferable and will allow you to work only in the school that has employed you.

You will also need to apply for a UK visa at the same time as you apply for your work permit. There is likely to be an application fee for this.  

It is likely that you will be applying for a UK visa that will be allocated under the points based immigration system. All visa applicants including overseas trained teachers must pass a points assessment before they are given permission to enter or remain in the UK.

The system has five tiers, which are different routes to employment, training or studying in the UK. Below are the most relevant to the teacher workforce:

Skilled Worker visa (formerly Tier 2): This applies to skilled workers who are offered sponsorship by an employer to fill gaps in the UK labour force (previously the work permit route).

Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme): This applies to individuals on a youth mobility scheme (aged 18-30) who are allowed to work in the UK for a maximum period of 2 years with no option to renew (a teacher wishing to extend their stay would have to leave the country and apply for a Skilled Worker visa, formerly Tier 2 visa).

For further details on visa eligibility, fees and the application process, visit the Home Office guidance on https://www.gov.uk/entering-staying-uk/visas-entry-clearance